How to get rid of stage fear
Stage fear and freezing in public are triggered by two things High expectation you have on yourself and Fear of Judgment. We expect that we should speak without any mistakes and should be perfect for our speech delivery and we know we can’t be perfect. As we are not perfect so we think we are not good and fear of public speaking. We most often think about others laughing at us or passing sarcastic comments. You take think emotionally when you go on to the stage, which is the reason for freezing and fear.
I want to quote an example which took place,” When Presidential Rick Perry froze during GOP debate, unable to remember the name of Government agency he wanted to eliminate”.
His mind was really under stress. According to Researchers, under high pressure, our brain tends to shut off the cortical networks it includes creativity, planning, and thinking abstractly.
The past incidences pop up into our mind. If in your school days or college days got insulted or got the feeling of insult, you keep that in mind and it lingers every time whenever you go for a public speech. You will be afraid of failure and insult again. So belief plays an important role in stage fear.
Symptoms of Stage Fear
Symptoms of stage fear can be classified into two Physical and Emotional
The Physical symptoms are manifestations in the body like sweat, an increase of heartbeat, cold, dry mouth, shaky hands, and lips trembling.
Emotional symptoms include embarrassment feeling, underestimating oneself, feeling in competitiveness and fear of forgetting.
How to overcome stage fear?
- Focus on the most memorable and happiest moment in your life and powerful experience. This will help you to gain confidence and power flowing through your veins.
- In these kinds of situations, there will be a high adrenaline flow. It is very difficult to control adrenaline flow. But to reduce it, you can walk around the room which will give time for thinking and will make your body relaxed.
- Relax and take a deep breath. We take this point very casually but it is the most important tool to control our fear. It fills with oxygen as it gives positive effects.
- Believe in what you are going to speak. Think whatever you are speaking is adding value to others. Presentations and public speeches can change lives, so you should think the value and worthiness you are providing and changing many lives in a positive manner.
- Know your audience- The public or audience who came there is to hear you. Whatever you present before they will acknowledge it and at the present moment, you are the god for them. They came there to receive some value from you and if possible could change their living.
- Smile while giving the presentation, which will make you feel happy and a message will be conveyed to your brain that you are relaxed and happy as a result no stage fear and ideas will come into your mind without any obstructions.
- Visualize good things, like everybody enjoying your speech, you are getting applauded. It will give you a real confidence booster.
- The last point which I am going to tell might be weird but 100 % true which I experienced. My mentor motivated me in this way and trust me it worked so ant to share. Think that you know better than your audience and you are not at all comparable with them. Think you have greater knowledge than the people sitting out there. First, it will give you a great confidence, secondly, only you know what you are speaking and what you prepared but the public doesn’t know that. Try experimenting it, you will really observe the difference.