Know Everything about Alexa ranking and the myth
There keeps on being much exchange about the legitimacy and worth of Alexa’s traffic ranking statistics. Many bloggers and website owners are still in confusion about the authenticity of Alexa ranking. Today in this Blog post I want to clear some myths relating to Alexa ranking. Before telling the myths, I would like to tell a little about Alexa and it’s importance.
What is Alexa?
Alexa Internet, Inc is an American company based in California which provides website traffic data and analytics. It was founded in the year 1996 as an independent company. In 1999 Alexa was acquired by Amazon, a well-known E-commerce giant. It is best known as “Alexa rank” -it’s a metric that ranks websites based on the traffic and its popularity.
Why is Alexa rank Important?
The rank is calculated utilizing a mix of daily visitors to the website and page views on that website over the past 3 months. The site with the most noteworthy blend of visitors and pageviews is positioned #1. The ranking is updated on a daily basis.
Alexa rank is considered to be the major factor determined by the advertisers. The Advertisers check the Alexa ranking of the websites before taking a decision on buying spaces on those particular websites.
- If you want to sell the space on your blog to advertisers
- If you want your blog to be popular
- The ranking is used to gain the trust of your readers and advertisers
- If you want to increase the value of your website
Now let’s see the myths which are spread on the internet about Alexa rank :
- Myth#1 Alexa counts traffic only from the people who have installed the Alexa toolbar-This is not true. I am quoting what Alexa said about this point in their official blog. ” Not true! Alexa’s measurement panel is based on a very large and diverse set of browser extensions and plug-ins. The Alexa Toolbar is just one of many browser extensions that include Alexa data. And, for sites that have installed the Alexa Certify code, Alexa directly measures traffic from all visitors to the website whether or not they have a browser extension installed.” Now it is clear that the belief which people were having was not true and it’s just a myth which was circulated.
- Myth #2 Claiming the website improves the Alexa rank – This absolutely false statement. I never claimed my website in Alexa and still, I could see my rank improving with the increasing traffic. The website owners who haven’t claimed their websites in Alexa are also shown the statistics. If your website is new it will take a little time to show you the statistics compared to the claimed websites but there would be no discrimination in ranking.
- Myth #3 Installing an Alexa widget can improve your rank – This point also has no credibility and it’s not true. The Alexa widget is just used to show you the status of your website to your readers but not for improving the rank. Bloggers install this widget for promoting their website statistics and of course, it’s a good practice. Promoting the website through various means will definitely bring results.
- Myth #4 I should pay Alexa for the pro plan to get better rank – I have seen website owners are thinking in this direction but it is absolutely wrong. I have seen in many discussion forums this point has become the moot point. The website owners who are already fed up by putting lot’s of efforts but still couldn’t succeed in increasing their Alexa rank. They think that it’s a trick by Alexa just to sell their pro plans. But it is not true. Their pro plan just certifies your website metrics only and nothing related to the improvement of ranking.
So I think we shouldn’t go by the myths spread over the internet and shouldn’t doubt Alexa rank credibility.